So I started off just researching a few different approaches to some specific authoring and syndication use cases in Drupal and decided to try the core-quick-drupal option for Drush. This failed with a minor error, but it was enough of a problem that I decided to investigate further once I realized that I was still running PHP 5.3.2 on my Mac and that what I really needed to do was update PHP. Previously, I've built out new machines by recompiling PHP, Apache, and MySQL with exactly the settings and flags I wanted so that I could ensure I had exactly what I needed. This time, though, I started looking into package managers to just do this for me. I figured I could always bail and build from scratch if it became necessary, but maybe it would work out great.
So, a little bit of googling later, and I settled on Homebrew. I already had it installed locally, and all I really needed to do was update it. After running
brew update I had:
Error: Failed while executing git pull http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew.git master
Ok, so that wasn't what I wanted. Time to figure out how to successfully update homebrew. I figured I could just
cd /usr/local and then run
git reset --hard FETCH_HEAD. This resulted in a pretty foreboding error:
fatal: 'origin' does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
Finally, I found this and added the remote:
git remote add origin git://github.com/mxcl/homebrew.git. Now, running
git fetch origin gave me the following:
remote: Counting objects: 200, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (92/92), done.
remote: Total 188 (delta 87), reused 177 (delta 76)
Receiving objects: 100% (188/188), 72.16 KiB, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (87/87), completed with 11 local objects.
* [new branch] gh-pages -> origin/gh-pages
* [new branch] go -> origin/go
* [new branch] master -> origin/master
* [new branch] superwip -> origin/superwip
Proved by now running update:
brew update resulting in
Ok, now to update PHP...